ALL NOKIA S Series/N Series Basic Tipsy Tricksy
Program Downloads and Tutorial
· How to change the operator logo:
· How to convert .3GP movies into .AVI:
· How to free more RAM on your Nokia 3650:
· An excellent program for converting video and audio into .RM format to play with the RealOne Player on your phone is Helix Producer Plus (try p2p). You can download some jobfiles for Helix Producer here: realnetworks.com/resources/howto/mobile/index.html.
(Download file "helix_job_files.zip" and use jobfile "General Mobile Local Video.rpjf" for encoding movies and "General Mobile Audio.rpjf" for audio).Ps. When RealOne Player on your 3650 says the video clip is too large, it doesn't mean the video file size but the video frame size is too large.
(Video frame sizes greater than 352x288 pixels in either dimension cannot be played). It works fine with 176x144 pixels or less. For more info: RealOne Mobile Player tips
· Convert video and audio into 3GPP and AMR formats with the Nokia Multimedia Converter (you need to request a serial number). You also need to install the Java 2 platform to install the Nokia Multimedia Converter, you can download it here (download: J2SE v 1.4.2_xx, JRE).
· How to copy & paste text:
Press and hold the pencil key and select your text using the scroll key.
Left function key will change to 'Copy'. Press it to copy the selected text to clipboard.
You can paste the clipboard contents the same way:
press and hold the pencil key and press 'Paste'. Or, press pencil key once and select 'Paste'.
· Press and hold the Menu key to open the application switching window, where you can *duh* switch between applications. If a program hangs and you can't shut it down, select the application in the application switching window and press 'C' to kill it. It's also a faster way to exit programs.
· Turn on/off the "click" sound made by the camera by selecting the 'Silent' profile or by turning warning tones on/off: Menu > Profiles > "select your activated profile" > Personalise > Warning tones > On/Off. (This also effects the sound of Java games and apps).
· To change background image go to:
Menu > Tools > Settings > Phone > Standby mode > Background image > Yes > "choose an image".
The best size for background images is 174x132 pixels.
· Only got blue, green and purple in your phone's colour palette?
This free app adds 3 more colours: Palette Extender (free).
· Display an image when someone's calling:
Menu > Contacts > "select a contact card" > Options > Edit > Options > Add thumbnail > "choose an image".
· Put your audio files here:
Put wav, mid and amr files in either E:\Sounds\Digital or E:\Sounds\Simple.
Then select one in Profiles to add as your Ringing tone or Message alert tone.
· Add a personal ringing tone to a contact:
Menu > Contacts > "select a contact card" > Options > Open > Options > Ringing tone > "choose a ringing tone".
· Delete all messages from your Inbox at once:
Menu > Messaging > Inbox > Options > Mark/Unmark > Mark all > Options > Delete.
· Hold pencil key and scoll down to mark multiple items in e.g. Inbox (sms), Images,
RealOne Player, Notes, To-do-list, etc. Press and scroll up/down again to unmark.
· Send or hide your caller ID: Go to: Menu > Tools > Settings > Call > Send My
Caller ID > 'Yes', 'No' or 'Set By Network' to follow the default settings of your home network.
· If you often copy large files to your MultiMedia Card, I recommend a card reader.
E.g. With a card reader it takes only 12 seconds to copy a 10 MB file!
· Record the sound of a phone call using the (sound) Recorder.
Menu > Extra's > Recorder > Options > Record sound clip.
Note: short beeps are audible during call registration. But there is a 60 second limitation so if you want unlimited sound recording get this app: Extended Recorder.
· While writing text, press "#" to switch between upper and lower case and Dictonary on/off (predictive text input).
Press and hold "#" to switch between Alpha mode and Number mode.
· Keyboard shortcuts for zooming and rotating images in Images:
1 = zoom in, 0 = zoom out, press and hold to return to the normal view.
2 = rotate anticlockwise, 9 = rotate clockwise, * = full screen.
· In standby mode, press and hold the right soft key to activate voice dialling.
To add a voice tag to a phone number, open a contact card and scroll to the phone number and select:
Options > Add voice tag.
· You can customize both soft keys located below the screen (in standby mode):
Menu > Tools > Settings > Phone > Standby mode > Left/Right selection key > "select an application".
· In standby mode. press scroll key center (joystick) to go directly to Contacts.
· In standby mode, press and hold 0 to launch your wap home page.
· In Menu or any subfolder, press numbers 1 - 9 to start the application at that location.
· In standby mode,
45# + dials the number on your sim in memory slot 45.
50# + dials slot 50 and so on.
· If you have your keylock activated just press the on/off button to turn on your backlight
to look at the time when it's dark without having to unlock the keypad.
· To keep the backlight on, run Torch (free), press the Menu button and go somewhere else on the phone.
· Start your text message (sms) with *0# and you'll recieve and sms back
with details on when the message was recieved by the recipient.
· Never, ever, in your whole life, install WildSkinz on your Nokia 3650!!! WildSkinz screws up
the whole 3650 system. It was never intended to work on the 3650, only on the 7650.
· Why assigning Video Recorder in the right or left soft key does not work?
(Sound Recorder is launched instead of Video Recorder)
It's a bug with firmware version 2.50.
· To see how much RAM is available on your phone use programs like AppMan or DevMan.
· How to check your firmware version:
A "Firmware" is the phone's operating system stored in internal Flash memory of the device (disk Z:). Manufacturers release new firmware versions containing bug fixes, improvements and - sometimes - offering new functions. Firmware upgrade can only be made in authorized Nokia service centre (point). To check your current firmware version simply type *#0000# in standby screen.
· To check your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) type *#06# in standby screen.
· To check your Bluetooth device address type *#2820# in standby screen.
· Start up in Safe Mode so no 'auto start' apps will be running:
To make sure that no memory-resident programs start when you reboot your phone,
hold down the pencil key when you turn on the phone and hold it on untill you have to enter your PIN code. (When you have trouble booting up the phone with the MMC in it because it got corrupted for some reason, this trick will almost always let you boot up the phone so you can remove the latest installed app which might have caused the problem or if your phone is "unrepairable" you can still back up your important data before you do a format.)
· How to totally format your phone and remove all installed applications, user files and restore all
settings to default like it's new out of the box! (OEM apps will not be deleted like Camera and RealOne Player, etc.):
A: First Format your MMC: Menu > Extras > Memory > Options > Format mem. card > Yes.
Note: It is very important to format your MMC before you format the phone memory!
Then format the phone memory by typing *#7370# in standby screen.
Phone will ask: "Restore all original phone settings? Phone will restart." Press 'Yes' and enter your Lock code (default is 12345).
Tip: Formatting takes several minutes so you'd better connect your phone
to a charger to ensure that your battery doesn't get empty in the middle of formatting.
Note: All your created acces points and mailboxes will be lost so take a note of them. And all application settings will be reset.
E.g. In Camera, image quality is set back to normal and memory in use is set back to phone memory. And also in Messages,
memory in use is set back to phone memory, etc. Also backup your contacts with PC Suite or a program like Contacts Manager.
These are just few Basic things to get started as u get them start Downloading Stuff (sis/java) and get fully Loaded