Who Owns the Internet ?
No one actually owns the Internet, and no single organization controls the Internet.It relies on a physical infrastructure that connects networks to other networks. Although internet was a project started by the US Department of Defense but it expanded and now its not in a single organizations control
Who Manages the Internet ?
The Internet is a Ecosystem. that saw a rapid and continued development and adoption of Internet. It can be attributed to the involvement of a broad range of actors; open, transparent, and collaborative processes; and the use of products and infrastructure with dispersed ownership and control.
Organizations that make up the Internet Ecosystem include:
- Technologists, engineers, architects, creatives, organizations such as the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) responsible for coordinating and implementing open standards.
- Global and local Organizations that manage resources for global addressing capabilities such as Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), Including operation of Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) function, Regional Internet Registries (RIR), and Domain Name Registries and Registrars (which deal technical stuff normal users are not aware of)
- Operators, engineers, and vendors that provide network infrastructure services such as Domain Name Service (DNS) providers, network operators, and Internet Exchange Points (IXPs)
- Internet Users, like you and me
- Educators that teach others and build capacity for developing and using Internet technologies, such as multilateral organizations, educational institutions, and governmental agencies
- Policy and Decision Makers that provide local and global policy development and governance or you can say who at times screw up everything by passing laws that block Torrent sites to appear and such
Infographic Explanation what happens on Internet in a Single minute :