There are 3 options you have in car tracking
Assisted Car Tracker
You can find various car tracking companies and pay them an upfront fee but I find it hyped and they charge your more , but it does offer various added benefits like Geo restriction if the car goes out of certain area you will be informed. Car Insurances also provide car tracking facilities
Standalone Tracking System
You can buy a standalone device for about $100 which will allow you to view your car using GPS and pinpoint it on Google Maps, its cheaper thn the first method and far less expensive
Homemade Car Tracking System
The drawback with all the above methods is the time delay, at a time of unforeseen we want things to be done quickly but you might face delays with the first method and second might be expensive for a few, here is the most economical technique.The best safety for your car is a live and active Mobile Phone hidden in a safe place in your car:
- Buy any low price mobile phone with longer standby time.
- Insert a local sim in the mobile.
- Turn this mobile on complete SILENT mode (double check it should not vibrate while you turn it on SILENT mode).
- Wrap it up slightly in a plastic sheet so that it should not get dusty during its prolonged stay in the hideout.
- Make sure it is perfectly responding by calling its number from another mobile phone.
- Hide this mobile in a safe place in your car.
- OPTIONAL - you can connect it with a charger bringing the wires directly from the battery if you don't want the hassle of charging it after a few weeks
- And that’s it. If your car gets stolen, immediately inform your local Police Help Line. Give them phone number of the mobile hidden in your car. Police can easily track the location by calling that number. Chances are that you may get back your car within the shortest possible time.
- If you didn't follow step 7 : finally do not forget to charge this mobile at least twice a week and hide it back in your car in active position.