At least one-third of U.S. small and medium-sized businesses accept cryptocurrency as payment for goods and services, a survey released by HSB, part of Munich Re, has found, with newer companies up to twice as likely to trade in digital credits.
The HSB nationwide survey conducted by Zogby Analytics showed that 36 percent of the small and mid-sized businesses accepted cryptocurrency, while 59 percent of those companies purchased digital currency for their own use as well.
The most popular companies accepting Bitcoin payments worldwide today are:
Major Companies Who Accepts Bitcoin as Payment
Wikimedia, the company that operates the world’s largest open-source encyclopedia, Wikipedia, accepts donations in Bitcoin. Payment is done through BitPay. Microsoft The company allows the use of Bitcoin to top up your Microsoft account. In the past the company halted its acceptance of cryptocurrency, but shortly after resumed their service. Expedia An American global travel technology company. The company accepts Bitcoin through Coinbase with some very strict limitations.
AT&T is the first major U.S. mobile carrier to provide a cryptocurrency payment option to customers through BitPay.
Burger King outlets in Venezuela announced a partnership with Cryptobuyer to accept cryptocurrencies as a mode of payment. Customers can pay in Bitcoin, Dash, Litecoin, Ethereum, and Tether. Additionally, the German branch of Burger King has begun accepting Bitcoin on its website and mobile app on September 3, 2019. However this was more of a marketing gimmick that doesn’t enable you to buy at an actual brick and mortar store. You can only pay with Bitcoins and Bitcoin Cash by ordering delivery online through the Lieferservice delivery service, which works with restaurants throughout the country.
KFC Canada decided to accept Bitcoin for a limited time in exchange for the “Bitcoin Bucket”. The company processed payment through BitPay and the bucket was to be delivered straight to the customer’s home address.
Overstock, a famous American online retailer that sells big ticket items at lower prices due to overstocking, partnered with Coinbase in order to allow Bitcoin payments for their online orders.
Playboy TV launched a new payment option that will allow customers to access its exclusive content using cryptocurrencies.
Several Subway branches accept Bitcoin as payment for their sandwiches.
Amazon owned leading game streaming platform accepts Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash as payment for its services. The company removed this option on March 2019 but then re-enabled it in June.
The Miami intend to give home game attendees the ability to pay with Litecoin and Bitcoin when purchasing tickets for the team’s 50/50 raffle, where half of the proceeds benefit the Miami Dolphins Foundation and its charitable causes.
The Dallas Mavericks now accept Bitcoin as a method of payment for both game tickets and merchandise. BitPay will process all Bitcoin payments through the team’s website.
Richard Branson company that includes Virgin Mobile and Virgin Airline allows you to pay for space travel with Bitcoins.
Norwegian Air Shuttle (Norwegian), Scandinavia’s largest airline and Europe’s third-largest budget airline, plans to provide a payment solution enabling customers to pay for tickets with cryptocurrency.
One of the leading domain name registrants start accepting Bitcoin back in 2013 since it has been requested by the company’s tech audience.
An American online travel agency, established in 1989 has started accepting Bitcoin through Coinbase and later on changed their payment processor to BTCPayServer.
Buy & send gift cards online for retailers like Amazon, Starbucks, and iTunes. The company accepts Bitcoin as payment without any additional fees.
An online retailer of items including computer hardware and consumer electronics. The company is one of the first to accept Bitcoin payment.
The Internet Archive
A San Francisco–based nonprofit digital library with the stated mission of “universal access to all knowledge” accepts Bitcoin donations. Its web archive, the Wayback Machine, contains hundreds of billions of web captures.
The Pirate Bay
An online index of digital content of entertainment media and software. The site accepts Bitcoin and cryptocurrency donations since 2013.
A beloved site among crypto users, 4Chan is an imageboard website. Users generally post anonymously, with the most recent posts appearing above the rest. 4chan is split into various boards with their own specific content and guidelines. Registration is not possible. The site accepts Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum and Litecoin as payment for a 4Chan pass.
A cloud storage and file hosting service launched on January 19, 2013, by Kim Dotcom, who had previouslyl founded Megaupload. The site accepts Bitcoin for account upgrades.
While Amazon, the biggest online retailer today, doesn’t accept Bitcoin directly you can use Purse.io to shop for anything on the site and pay with Bitcoin. The site connects people who have Bitcoin and want to buy on Amazon with people who want to get Bitcoin in return for fulfilling an order.
One of the largest virtual private network service that allows you to surf online securely and privately. ExpressVPN is a subscription based service that accepts Bitcoin.
Sport Lisboa e Benfica, commonly known as Benfica is an extremely popular sports sports club based in Lisbon Portugal. The company accepts Bitcoin for game tickets and merchandise.
Stores that Accept Bitcoin as Payment
Aside from the big companies I’ve mentioned in the previous chapter, there are many small and medium businesses (SMBs) that accept Bitcoin as well.
- Alza – Largest Czech online retailer
- Bitcoin.Travel – a travel site that provides accommodation, apartments, attractions, etc.
- Pembury Tavern – A pub in London, England
- Old Fitzroy – A pub in Sydney, Australia
- The Pink Cow – A diner in Tokyo, Japan
- Zynga – Mobile gaming
- EZTV – Torrents TV shows provider
- Lumfile – Free cloud base file server – pay for premium services
- Etsy Vendors – 93 of them
- PizzaForCoins.com – Domino’s Pizza signed up – pay for their pizza with bitcons
- Bitcoincoffee.com – Buy your favorite coffee online
- Grass Hill Alpacas – A local farm in Haydenville, MA
- Jeffersons Store – A street wear clothing store in Bergenfield, N.J
- Helen’s Pizza – Jersey City, N.J., you can get a slice of pizza for bitcoin.
- A Class Limousine – Pick you up and drop you off at Newark (N.J.) Airport
- Seoclerks.com – Get SEO work done on your site cheap
- Fancy.com – Discover amazing stuff, collect the things you love, buy it all in one place
- Humblebundle.com – Indie game site
- Hackology - Well Hackology also accepts bitcoin donations ;)
- BigFishGames.com – Games for PC, Mac and Smartphones (iPhone, Android, Windows)
- Suntimes.com – Chicago based online newspaper
- San Jose Earthquakes – San Jose California Professional Soccer Team (MLS)
- Crowdtilt.com – The fastest and easiest way to pool funds with family and friends
- Lumfile – Server company that offers free cloud-based servers
- Museum of the Coastal Bend – 2200 East Red River Street, Victoria, Texas 77901, USA
- Gap, GameStop and JC Penney – have to use eGifter.com
- Fight for the Future – Leading organization finding for Internet freedom
- i-Pmart (ipmart.com.my) – A Malaysian online mobile phone and electronic parts retailer
- Curryupnow.com – A total of 12 restaurants on the list of restaurants accept bitcoins in San Francisco
- Dish Network – An American direct-broadcast satellite service provider
- The Libertarian Party – United States political party
- Yacht-base.com – Croatian yacht charter company
- Euro Pacific – A major precious metal dealer
- CEX – The trade-in chain has a shop in Glasgow, Scotland that accepts bitcoin
- Straub Auto Repairs – 477 Warburton Ave, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 – (914) 478-1177
- PSP Mollie – Dutch Payment Service
- Intuit – an American software company that develops financial and tax preparation software.
- ShopJoy – An Australian online retailer that sells novelty and unique gifts
- Lv.net – Las Vegas high speed internet services
- Grooveshark – Online music streaming service based in the United States
- MIT Coop Store – Massachusetts Institute of Technology student bookstore
- SimplePay – Nigeria’s most popular web and mobile-based wallet service
- SFU bookstore – Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada
- State Republican Party – First State Republican Party to accept bitcoin donations
- mspinc.com – Respiratory medical equipment supplies store
- Shopify.com – An online store that allows anyone to sell their products